Vice President of Finance and Human Resources
World Central Kitchen (WCK) seeks a full-time VP of Finance and Human Resources to direct and implement the organization’s financial and HR operations needed to support substantial growth over the next five to 10 years. She or he will continue to build and manage effective and streamlined financial systems, including financial, accounting, and HR
infrastructure. This position is based in WCK’s Washington, DC office and reports to the Executive Director.
World Central Kitchen is a non-profit organization founded by chef José Andrés that uses the power of food to empower communities and strengthen economies. We are focused on finding smart solutions to hunger and poverty around the world.
In its long-term programs, WCK works in Puerto Rico, Haiti, Zambia, Nicaragua, and the USA - empowering communities to be part of the solution with a focus on school kitchens & meals for education, food safety and sanitation training, clean cook stove implementation, culinary training, support of smallholder farmers, and job creation.
In our emergency services, we provide chef-driven meals following natural disasters. Since July 2017, we have served more than 7 million freshly prepared, healthy emergency meals in Texas, Puerto Rico, California, Hawaii, Guatemala, Indonesia, North Carolina, and Florida.
WCK is a fast-growing organization that requires a high level of commitment and enthusiasm for our work in exchange for tremendous career advancement opportunities and the opportunity to join the headquarters team at a critical period in the organization’s development and growth.
For more information about World Central Kitchen, visit our website at http://worldcentralkitchen.org/
Responsibilities and Duties
Accounting, Financial Management, & Human Resources
- Approve and initiate all outgoing payments to vendors and contractors.
- Ensure proper entry of all financial project, program, and development transactions in accounting system.
- Oversee the Operations & Accounting Associate.
- Coordinate with, and coach international program teams to ensure reconciliation with WCK funding support and sound program funds management practices.
- Oversee all banking and investment relationships and prepare all reconciliations of bank accounts, including international accounts.
- Oversee all donation and grants management transactions to ensure compliance with IRS requirements and proper reporting on the Form 990.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors. Ensure timely filing of the Form 990 and other reports.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the Executive Director and Chief Program Officer; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the organization’s overall policies and procedures.
- Manage the payroll process and maintenance of employee data in the HR/payroll database. Oversee the preparation and filing of all pertinent payroll tax filings by our payroll provider.
- Administer and oversee all employee benefits including the health and 403B plans, and vacation and sick leave.
- Ensure correct preparation and distribution of year-end tax forms for employees and contractors.
- Formalize WCK HR administrative procedures including access to professional development, performance evaluations, training, and recruiting and hiring.
- Coordinate facilities and core operating management activities for the DC office and other permanent (program offices) or temporary locations (emergency activities).
- Serve as a business partner to the Executive Director on the organization’s financial, budgeting, and administrative processes — including HR, payroll, and benefits functions—with an eye to continuously developing and improving systems.
- Other responsibilities as needed.
Key Qualifications & Experience
- A sincere commitment to World Central Kitchen’s mission and programs.
- Finance or Accounting degree with CPA certification preferred.
- 7-10 years of overall professional experience; ideally 6+ years of broad financial and operations management experience.
- Experience with having final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting, and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area, and has preferably overseen HR functions.
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with -- programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership techniques, and coordination of people and resources.
- Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, and personnel information systems.
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors.
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization, and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment.
- Spanish and/or French proficiency highly desirable.
- Hours: Full time, exempt.
- Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
- Benefits: Three weeks paid time off, fully paid medical, dental, and vision benefits.
World Central Kitchen is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse work environment. People of color, and/or those with disabilities, diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions, and/or identities are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please submit your resumé and cover letter indicating why you are interested in working with World Central Kitchen. Please include in your cover letter your desired annual compensation.